Institute of Marine Biology of Crete
Tel: +30 2810 346860 EXT.147
Fax: +30 2810 241882
Date of Birth : 12/3/1957
Nationality : Greek
Language : Greek : Native language.
English :English at high professional level .
French (reading level)
- 1981: B.Sc., Physics, University of Athens, Greece .
- 1984: M.Sc., Physics, University Manitoba, Canada .
- 1987: Ph.D., Physics, University of Manitoba, Canada.
1996-to date: Institute of Marine Biology of Crete, Dept. of Oceanography, Senior Scientist
1994-1995: University of Edinburgh, Dept. Of Meteorology, Researcher
1990-1996: University of Athens, Lab. of Meteorology and Oceanography, Research Associate
1991-1992: Hellenic Navy Hydrographic Service, Dept. of Oceanography, Researcher
1990-1991: Southeastern College, Dept. of Science and Engineering, Lecturer.
1987-1990: Royal Roads Military College, Dept. of Oceanography, Canadian Government
Laboratory Visiting Fellow
Current Research Interests
- Operational Oceanography
- Data assimilation of in-situ and remotely and sensed data in numerical models
- Fisheries Oceanography
Current European Projects
- MFS-PP (MAS 3-CT98-0171): Mediterranean Forecast System, Pilot Project, DG XII.
- MEDNET (MAS 3-CT98-0189): Mediterranean Models Network, DG XII
Selected recent publications
- P.G. Drakopoulos and R.F. Marsden, The internal tide off the west coast of Vancouver Island, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 23, (1993) 758-775
- S.E. Poulos, P.G. Drakopoulos, and M.B. Collins, Seasonal variability in the sea surface oceanographic conditions in the Aegean (Eastern Mediterranean): An overview, J. Mar. Systems, 13, (1997), 225-244
- P.G. Drakopoulos, K. Haines, and P. Wu, Altimetric assimilation in a Mediterranean GCM, J. Geophys. Res., 102, (1997) 10509-10523
- P.G. Drakopoulos and A. Lascaratos, A preliminary study on the internal tides in the Gulfs of Patras and Korinthos, Greece, Continental Shelf Res.,18, (1998), 1517-1529
- K. Stafford, R.G. Williams and P.G. Drakopoulos, Estimating climatological age from a model-derived oxygen-age relationship in the Mediterranean, J. Mar. Systems, 18, (1998), 215-226
- S. Kornilios, P.G. Drakopoulos and C. Dounas, Pelagic Tar, dissolved/dispersed petroleum hydrocarbons and plastic distribution in the Cretan Sea, Greece, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 36, (1998), 989-993
- P.G. Drakopoulos and A. Lascaratos, Modelling the Mediterranean Sea, Seasonal Forcing, J. Mar. Systems, 20, (1999), 157-173.
- M.N. Tsimplis, D. Velegrakis, P.G. Drakopoulos, A. Theocharis and M.B. Collins, Cretan Deep Water Outflow into the Eastern Mediterranean, Progress in Oceanography, 44, (1999) 531-551.